Barran Liebman – Managing Mental Health in The Workplace Seminar
August 18, 2021 @ 11:15 am - 12:30 pm
- This event has passed.
Managing Mental Health in The Workplace: Best Practices For Navigating ADA, FMLA, & Other Accommodation Laws
Mental health disorders were on the rise across the country, even before COVID-19. With 1 in 5 U.S. adults experiencing some form of mental illness each year (according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness) and an increasing number of organizations implementing initiatives to support employee mental health, it is important for employers to understand the legal considerations they should be aware of. In this presentation, Barran Liebman Partner Shayda Le will discuss a range of employer responsibilities and best practices when it comes to employee mental health in the workplace, including protections under various leave and accommodation laws and wellness initiatives employers can consider exploring for their own workplaces.
Key learning objectives will include the following:
- When mental health issues qualify as a disability
- The laws that protect employees with mental illness
- Examples of reasonable accommodations for employees whose mental health illnesses qualify as disabilities
- The kind of medical information an employer can require to substantiate a request for reasonable accommodation
- Examples of initiatives employers can consider providing to employees to elevate workplace and individual wellness